Here are some of our typical breakfasts:
· Homemade granola with fresh fruit and homemade almond milk.
o This one is quick and we tend to make large batches of granola. (See the one of our previous blog posts for how to make your own.)
· Steel cut oatmeal with fresh fruit, nuts and seeds.
o This is a variation of the granola above and we like to have this more in the winter.
o Cook your steel cut oatmeal as recommended. Add sliced banana, apple, strawberries ect., nuts (raw almonds, pecans, walnuts), seeds (pumpkin, hemp hearts, flax), cinnamon, unsulphured coconut. We tend to not add anything to sweeten it but some 100% maple syrup could be added if desired.
· Smoothies – lots of fruit, protein (either Harmonized Vegan Protein, hemp hearts or Organic goat whey), greens, homemade almond milk.
o This is more of a summer breakfast. You can add all sorts of things to smoothies like flax seeds, turmeric, cacoa powder, nut butter etc.
· Omelette or Veggie Scramble – 2 local eggs, greens, veggies, goat cheese, honey sweetened ketchup or salsa.
o We love omelettes or veggie scrambles. They are a great way to get vegetables in the morning. (See one of our previous blog posts for more ideas.)
· Omelette To Go – we have adapted an Alive magazine recipe for a quick omelette to go.
· Mexican Veggie Scramble bowl – 2 local eggs, raw organic greens like spinach or kale, salsa, avocado, green onion, black beans, local hot sauce, goat or sheep cheese.
o Keep all your veggies raw and scramble your eggs or leave the yolks runny whatever you prefer, heat up your beans in a pan and serve it over your veggies.
o We have also stir fried a bunch of vegetables like mushroom, pepper, zucchini, onion and mixed this in as well.
· Huevos Rancheros – corn tortilla, local egg, avocado, salsa, greens, homemade refried beans, tomato, green onion, homemade guacamole.
o Cook your egg sunny side up and prepare your corn tortilla. Place egg on corn tortilla and top with goat or sheep cheese if desired.
o Bake for 5 min. at 350 F. Top with vegetables.
· Egg and Toast – 1 local egg, honey sweetened ketchup, homemade gluten free bread spread with coconut oil, bowl of fruit.
o Simple but balanced. We don’t eat that much bread even gluten free bread but once and a while this is a quick easy breakfast that we enjoy.
· Teff Banana Pancakes or Brown Rice Flour Blueberry Pancakes – Both recipes from Nourishing Meals cookbook which we use quite frequently and recommend it as a healthy allergen free cookbook. Although not as balanced as other breakfasts we tend to eat pancakes two times per month served with 100% maple syrup and a fruit bowl.