The Japanese tend to have the longest average lifespan in the world and this may be in part due to their high amount of green tea consumption.A high dose supplement of green tea extract typically contains the same amount of EGCG as drinking 10 cups of green tea.Unfortunately, not all EGCG supplements are the same as far as quality goes and it really can depend where the original green tea was harvested from and what type of green tea it is from.We like to recommend EGCG that has been sourced from Japanese Sencha leaves.
Health benefits of green tea extract (EGCG) include:
- Increased metabolism and weight loss
- Acne treatment
- Liver detoxification and liver protector
- Lower cardiovascular risk by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure
- Lower neurodegenerative disorder risk including Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s
- Prevention of Type 2 diabetes by lowering blood sugar
It is important to note that the research done for weight loss found that EGCG was more effective when applied with a healthy diet/lifestyle including a whole foods diet and exercise. In a recent study daily green tea consumption, even just 1 cup per day, was found to be significantly associated with a lower risk of death from any cause. Overall, adding in 1-3 cups of organic green tea (sencha or gunpowder) to your daily routine may have tremendous health benefits.