· 1 medium onion diced
· 3 cloves minced garlic
· ¼ cup red wine or 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes (Tip - cut stems out and toss in a food processor and pulse till diced)
· ¼ cup tomato paste (from glass jar or BPA free can - we use Bio Italia from Centex)
· 1 tsp each of dried herbs or 1 tbsp each of fresh herbs – basil, oregano and parsley. Can add 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes if prefer a spicy sauce.
· ½ tsp coconut sugar or Sucanat
· Fresh pepper ground to taste
· 1/8 to ¼ cup raw, unfiltered olive oil
Heat a sauce pot over low to medium heat and add a small amount of coconut oil enough to coat the bottom of the pot. Put onion and garlic in pot and cook over low to medium heat till onion is tender. If using wine add next and let bubble for a few seconds then add everything else except olive oil. Bring to a boil on medium/high heat and then reduce to low/medium heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add olive oil and stir. Puree if desired in the blender or use an immersion blender.