Foods to Limit and/or Avoid:
· Refined sugars (white sugar, brown sugar, glucose, fructose) - See our post on refined sugar.
· Alcohol - Have red wine and the occasional beer if you are consuming and less than 5 drinks per week. Alcohol can back up the the liver and throw off hormonal balance, increase the risk of cancer and contribute to mood disturbances.
· Wheat products - Have many negative effects on the body including blood sugar dysregulation, low mood, bloating, fatigue and potential increased cardiovascular risk. Consume a wide variety of other grains like teff, brown rice, amaranth, millet, etc. that have been less manipulated over time. See Wheat Belly Book Review.
· Caffeine - Limit to 1 coffee weekly and switch to green tea. If you really like the taste of coffee use swiss water decaf. For coffee substitutes that contain digestive and liver supporting herbs try Café lib or Krakus - they also have great flavour.
· Juices - If having use 100% fruit and vegetable juices that are not sweetened (ie. Ceres) on occasion, as juice is pasteurized and processed and some nutrients are lost. The whole fruit is always better but if you like juice try making your own at home - it's a lot tastier and better for your health as all nutrients are retained.
· Margarine - Use organic butter instead as margarine is heavily processed and has chemical dyes in it. It's even better to use unfiltered, extra virgin olive oil instead.
· Deep fried foods, bacon and other smoked meats - These are not good for digestion and are carcinogenic instead choose organic grass fed or wild meats.