Have you ever been out to a Thai restaurant and wanted a healthy alternative to spring rolls? Thai cold rolls are usually the alternative option typically filled with shrimp or tofu. These rolls can be fairly expensive so today we will share the recipe to make them right in the comfort of your own home. They are incredibly easy to make and can be served with a homemade almond or peanut sauce making them even more delicious. You can essentially put whatever you would like in these rolls. We have experimented and this is our favourite but feel free to try many different combinations. The amount of ingredients really depends on how many rolls you would like to make so we have just put some estimates beside each of the ingredients. If you have extra almond or peanut sauce, tofu and vermicelli left over it is also delicious with some stir fried veggies.
Cold Rolls Recipe
· Rice papers (round and dried)
· Brown rice vermicelli (1/2 package)
· Sprouts (Make your own-see previous blog post)
· Lettuce (Boston leaf, red leaf, romaine or argula –really whatever you prefer) (can rip pieces off as you go)
· Shredded carrots (about ¼ cup)
· Cucumber cut in long strips (about ½ cup)
· Green onion cut in long strips (about 4 onions)
· Extra Firm Tofu (preferably organic) cut in strips (1 package)
· 1 tbsp coconut oil
Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Cut tofu in strips and stir fry till browned and set aside. Boil a pot with water and prepare brown rice vermicelli as listed on package (typically boil 3 minutes) and rinse with cold water. Prepare vegetables as instructed above. Now you are ready to assemble the rolls. Note: if tofu is still warm place in freezer till cooled down.
Place 1 rice paper in a flat bowl of water and soak for 1 minute and then towel it dry. Transfer to a cutting board. Place another rice paper in water to let it soak. With the rice paper on the cutting board place all ingredients horizontally in the centre of the wrap. Start by rolling the wrap and then fold in the sides and continue rolling. Be careful not to roll too tight or they will break. Repeat until you have rolled the desired amount.
Almond or Peanut Sauce
· 1/3 cup Natural almond butter or peanut butter
· 2 tbsp Bragg’s liquid aminos or tamari sauce
· ¼ cup water
· 1 ½ tbsp. rice vinegar
· 1-2 garlic cloves minced
· ¼ tsp chilis
· ½ tsp agave nectar
Whisk together all ingredients together.
Dip cold rolls in sauce and enjoy!